Louisiana is native to lots of rain, high heat, high humidity, and the occasional hurricane. This combination can take a heavy toll on building structures, leaving them vulnerable to mold, deterioration, and premature repairs. When you hear the term “Waterproofing” in reference to your home or business structure, your initial thoughts likely think of roofing… but proper waterproofing extends far beyond ensuring your roof is up to par. In this article, we explore exactly what commercial waterproofing is and it’s benefits.
What is Commercial Waterproofing?
Owning a business requires much more than the day to day operations of your company. An owner must be concerned of other things, including the longevity of the office building and proper maintenance necessary to protect employees and business assets. Securing and protecting the exterior of your business structure is just as important as it is the interior. Waterproofing is essential to providing this protection from the negative effects of weather. Waterproofing is the process of adding an additional layer of waterproofing materials to the surface of your building exterior that protects from everyday wear and tear, decay, sunlight damage, wind damage, and leaks caused by rain, ice and more. Waterproofing is a preventative measure that will reduce humidity/moisture levels throughout the building reducing mold and other hazards. There are many different types of coats available to waterproof the exterior of a building based off of the material including: silicate-based concrete sealers, concrete waterproof coatings, waterproofing paint and more.
Benefits to Waterproofing your Business
- Prevention of weather damage – One of the most prominent benefits to waterproofing your business is that it protects against weather damage such as wind, sunlight, humidity, rain, etc.
- Stronger Foundation – waterproofing increases the overall strength of the building structure and can keep the foundation from deterioration and moisture damage.
- Longer lifespan – waterproofing materials reflect heat, keeping the roof intact. The chemicals and components that make up your roof will break down much slower with less heat, thus increasing their life span.
- Preventing growth of mold and mildew – When your building is acceptable to water/moisture you risk build up of mold and mildew. Not only is this detrimental to the structure itself but can become a major health hazard for you and your staff.
- Cost savings – waterproofing seals areas in which moisture could leak through, this makes you much more energy efficient, which means savings! The waterproofing materials used will reflect heat and sunlight, helping to maintain steady building temperatures, saving on energy costs. The prevention of damage will also save you money in the long run. Waterproofing your business is much more affordable than fully replacing a roof!
If you have not already waterproofed your business, now is the time! Don’t wait until you notice a problem to take action. Waterproofing should be a preventative measure performed on your structure in advance before water, moisture, heat, wind, and other forms of weather have their way with your facility. JMA Painters have extensive experience and state of the art technology that allows us to efficiently handle all of your waterproofing needs. Contact us for a free consultation today!